Aim True with Kathryn Budig

Photo by Jasper Johal

My husband asked me the day before my workshop with Kathryn Budig, “Are you excited?” “Yes, super excited!” Everyone has a secret pleasure. Mine involves running off to my favorite yoga studio to recharge my batteries and find my happy place.


Kathryn Budig is well known yoga teacher and writer. She has a playful approach that makes the whole room smile. The yoga expert for Women's Health Magazine, she's also a philanthropist and a foodie. She co-founded Poses for Paws, an organization that raises money for animal shelters. She's also partnered with ToeSox, who donates 10% of proceeds to her Poses for Paws organization. It's fun for me to know that she works with one of my favorite chefs, Giada de Laurentiis.
Kathryn Budig and Giada de Laurentiis. Photo by Ture Lillegraven
I'm a big fan of Women's Health Magazine. I recently bought Kathryn Budig's The Women's Health Big Book of Yoga. I love how I can customize my practice to whatever I need for the day. I also have the Big Book of Pilates...I'm a Pilates instructor! Both books are loaded with pictures. If you follow Kathryn's writing, you'll read that she loves Pilates too! She's also enjoys rock climbing, hiking and sky diving. Yep, she's amazing! 

Kathryn studied musical theatre and English in college at the University of Virginia. She moved to LA to become an actress and teach yoga on the side. She realized that she didn't care for Hollywood but had a talent for teaching yoga.

I found it interesting that someone with a musical theatre background didn't play music in her classes. I actually really like that she didn't. My most memorable yoga and Pilates classes are those where you can just hear the music of the breath. I think without the music, you're able to go a little deeper within yourself and hearing others breath around you is like a sea of motivation. 

Kathryn's cues match her playful style. She helped me find my "Jackie Chan muscles." She says to get into your Jackie Chan kung-fu stance..."elbows bent, biceps tight to the body, and forearms out will help you feel strong and safe."

The second favorite thing that I took away from Kathryn's workshop (Jackie Chan being the first) was her standing splits series. I love, love this pose...I"m a ballet dancer and splits just feel good (especially against the wall). 
Instagram photo kathrynbudig

1.   "Ever wake up on the wrong side of the bed and allow a bad mood to spoil your day? If you’re nodding yes as you read this, you’re probably not doing enough yoga. Or maybe you’re not having enough sex…"

2. " The only way to experience happiness is by taking chances and following what makes my heart beat."

3. "I believe food is meant to be enjoyed, so if you find yourself out to dinner at a fantastic restaurant—enjoy it! You can go back to kale and quinoa tomorrow, but life is meant to be tasted and enjoyed."


4. "A big part of what I teach is the ability to move through and past fear. Fear is a huge issue in our society that keeps people locked in habits and inhibits the ability for growth."

5. "I have the best job in the world. I've been blessed with traveling the world in order to teach people yoga. I realize yoga still carries stereotypes such as granola-loving, uber flexible chant-till-you-drop fanatics, but I'm here to prove those people wrong. Yoga will change your life."

Thank you Kathryn Budig! You are an inspiration! xx

No comments:

Post a Comment