Halloween superstitions, Macbeth, and Merde



Shakespeare said, All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players: they have their exits and their entrances; and one man in his time plays many parts, his acts being seven ages.

I've been thinking of Shakespeare, specifically Macbeth. Many great stories come with an accompanying curse. The Macbeth curse is probably the most famous of all superstition curses. I remember my high school theatre teacher warning us never, EVER say Macbeth on stage. We all kind of laughed, like yeah right! But I'll never forget the intensity and seriousness in his face and voice. Sometimes I think I've accidentally said Macbeth and I'm not even on stage. But like Shakespeare said, life is a stage! You know the saying, "When it rains, it pours?" Well maybe someone just said "Macbeth!"

Dancers, actors, and directors NEVER say Macbeth in a theatre, especially not on stage! There are too many bad things that have happened as a result. It seemed everyone had a Macbeth story. There are many documented disasters and mishaps surrounding Macbeth: an actor substituted a stage dagger for a real dagger, sudden sickness, broken ankles, fires...

I'm not one to monkey around with tradition or superstition. I think of Stevie Wonder's song:

Very superstitious, writing's on the wall
Very superstitious, ladders bout' to fall
Thirteen month old baby, broke the lookin' glass
Seven years of bad luck, the good things in your past

When you believe in things that you don't understand
Then you suffer
Superstition ain't the way

I have a mix of both superstition and Pollyannaism! I do think it's better to live on "Glad Street" but a touch of drama goes a long way! The Macbeth curse is one of the most famous of all superstition curses ever! There is much evidence of bad things happening after someone has said Macbeth on stage. Lately I've felt like someone was saying Macbeth on my street! Bad things happen daily, but like Pollyanna, it's best to find the glad in the bad! I hope to teach this to my children.


Halloween, known as a very superstitious holiday, is approaching. My favorite things about Halloween have nothing to do with being scared. I don't like the scary factor, especially for children. I do love the fall treats, decorations, and fun costumes.


Photo: My children as Raggedy Ann and Andy. You can see luck was in my son's favor here swiping his favorite candy.

Trying to channel the good like Pollyanna, here are thirteen things to keep you lucky! Take them with a grain of salt!

1. Don't put hats on beds
2. Don't walk under ladders
3. Cover your mouth when you sneeze
4. If you spill salt, take a pinch of the spilled salt and throw it over your left shoulder
5. Knock on wood three times after mentioning good fortune
6. Carry a rabbit's foot for luck
7. Cross your fingers for luck
8. Don't open an umbrella indoors so bad luck won't rain on you
9. Hold your breath when you go past a cemetery
10. Hang a horseshoe upright above the doorway for good fortune
11. Break a wishbone for good luck
12. If a black cat walks towards you, it brings good luck, if it walks away it takes your luck
13. An elephant with the trunk facing up is good luck

No comments:

Post a Comment