I Enjoy Being a Girl: Beauty Secrets, Tips, and Shortcuts




When I have a brand new hairdo
With my eyelashes all in curl, 
I float as the clouds on air do, 
I enjoy being a girl!


"I Enjoy Being a Girl" from Flower Drum Song

I do so enjoy being a girl! Oh yes, I am a beauty junkie! Sephora is my great big colorful and very wonderful candy store! I consider myself to be a pretty good resource when it comes to beauty products, because I consume beauty magazines like I do dark chocolate!

I think most Moms want the same thing: to look like themselves, but more beautiful, confident, and most importantly AWAKE! Just because you're a mom doesn't mean you can let yourself go! I think it's fun to try something different! I do it for me but I love when my children, husband, and second graders notice. Making an effort can be fun--trying a hair accessory, using a lip stain, or putting on a favorite fragrance can make us feel like singing I feel pretty, oh so pretty! I find the older I get, the more risks and experiments I take.

The best beauty items that make you look gorgeous don't even go in a makeup bag! Sleep, water, and vitamins! I know if I don't get enough sleep it will affect the way I look (red eyes, dark circles, dull skin...) Vitamins are also important. I really like to think I can get all the vitamins (especially A and C) through food. Vitamin A- carrots, spinach, broccoli, sweet potatoes, melons Vitamin C- strawberries, peppers, oranges, grapefruit, leafy greens to name a few are just as important for the body as your complexion. And of course water! Drinking water makes skin clear, smooth, and looking young.

My regimen has changed only slightly since having children with shortcuts for the better. I especially love when I find something I can combine steps with like tinted moisturizer. I have learned to prioritize and plan instead of taking my time. My routine has shrunk from 20 minutes to 5 since becoming a mom.

• Using Tinted moisturizer is three steps in one: color, lotion, and sunscreen (I like Laura Mercier)
• Concealer- Bobbi Brown says to never leave the house without it!
• Powder (I like a loose translucent powder)
• Blush- (tip: sweep blush on doing a backwards Nike swoop starting at the temple)
• Eyeliner/mascara (navy eyeliner makes the whites of your eyes pop; and the blacker the mascara the more the eyes stand out)

These are a few of my favorite things:
Aquaphor for your baby and then some.
Neutrogena Body Oil has the most amazing smell and it softens skin almost instantly sinking in so fast I can put on silk hose.
V05 Hot Oil treatment has been a staple in my makeup drawer even before I could drive! It makes my hair soft and pretty.
Fresh Soy Cleanser- super gentle and even takes off waterproof mascara
Shu Uemura eye lash curler
NARS blush in Orgasm
MAKE UP FOR EVER Aqua Smoky Lash is waterproof mascara that provides volume, length, and the blackest black color.
Fresh Sugar Face Polish with wild strawberries smells sooo good that I actually tried tasting it (not bad); it also makes your face radiant.
Tweezerman tweezers
Clarins UV Plus sunscreen
OPI Dutch Tulips because it can look red or pink depending on what you're wearing
• Clarifier pencils are used on the inner rim of the eye to brighten and widen. This was one of my favorite things after having my first baby because it makes my eyes look awake! Clarifier on the inner rim and navy eyeliner on the outer magically make my eyes look white! My favorite is Three Custom Color 
BeneFit Benetint works on lips and cheeks
If you could only bring three beauty items to a desert island what would they be? I would take Neutrogena Body Oil, Kiehl's lip balm, and sunscreen.

Lyndsey Peck, makeup artist and childhood friend, has this to say about makeup:
I have always loved makeup, because it is empowering even magical. It has the ability to transform anybody into whatever or whoever they choose to be. I like to use face oils, like almond or jojoba, to mix with creamy foundation. It gives a nice slip to the makeup, moisturizes the skin and keeps the coverage fairly sheer as the camera picks up every little imperfection. Cakey foundation is ugly and this alleviates that issue. Also, for a pouty lip, you can use a navy eyeliner pencil just in the corners of the lip and blend out with lipstick and a lip brush. It makes the lips look much fuller, but you have to use the eyeliner sparingly.

Photo: My daughter's first makeup experience was dressing up like Abby Cadabby!

No comments:

Post a Comment